What is Adjective with examples?
The adjective is a type of word which describes or modifies the noun. It is also defined as, the word which describes the qualities and states of beings of nouns.
It measures the qualities like size, shape, colour, duration, behaviour, quantity, and a lot more.
It usually provides additional information on noun with the above mentioned qualities like,
- How much?
- How long?
- How big?
- How small?
- How is it?
- How often? etc
- You have a big house. (Noun – house, Adjective – big)
- I made a good design. (Noun – design, Adjective – good)
- I have a red balloon. (Noun – balloon, Adjective – red)
- I have three chocolates. (Noun – chocolates, Adjective – three)
Now let us understand the different types of Adjectives.
What are the different types of Adjectives?
There are usually 9 types of Adjectives. Those are,
- Descriptive Adjective
- Quantitative Adjective
- Proper Adjective
- Demonstrative Adjective
- Possessive Adjective
- Interrogative Adjectives
- Indefinite Adjectives
- Compound Adjectives
Forms of Adjectives
Some of the words (Adjectives) have different endings like,
- -able/-ible: comfortable, unavailable, eligible, incredible, etc.
- -ish/-like: selfish, accomplish, dislike, unlike, etc.
- -ful/-less: beautiful, peaceful, colourful, noiseless, etc.
- -ous: simultaneous, famous, dangerous, etc.
- -y: rainy, sunny, pretty, funny, etc.
- Are you having a comfortable seat?
- This story is incredible!
- You are not a Selfish person.
- Holi is a colourful festival.
- What a beautiful painting!
And there are also other forms of Adjective like Comparitive and Superlative.
Degrees of Comparision of Adjectives
Adjectives have three types of forms. Those are,
Positive words are the basic form of adjective words that are used in the sentences.
- Sneha scored good marks.
- John is a calm person.
- This is a big mansion.
Comparitive words are used to compare other person, things, qualities, etc.
- Sneha scored better marks than Raju.
- John is a calmer person than Micheal.
- This mansion is bigger than John’s mansion.
Superlative is the highest degree. It is used to compare for more than two person, things, qualities, etc.
- Sneha scored the best marks among the whole class.
- John is the calmest person.
- This is the biggest mansion in the world.
Positive, Comparative and Superlative Forms Examples
- good, better, best.
- bad, worse, worst.
- happy, happier, happiest.
- strong, stronger, strongest.
- big, bigger, biggest.
- small, smaller, smallest.
- calm, calmer, calmest.
Where to use Adjectives in the sentences?
Here are some of the places where we can use Adjectives depending on the condition (usage) of the sentence.
1) Sometimes the Adjective comes before the Noun.
- Oh, what a nice car!
- You are a kind person.
- We have a sports car.
In the first example, we can observe that the adjective “nice” comes before the noun “car”.
In the second example, “kind” (adj) comes before “person” (noun).
In the third example, “sports” (adj) comes before “car” (noun).
2) Sometimes the Adjective comes after the Noun.
- Is your teacher American?.
- Are these students talented?
- This party is going to be grand.
In the first example, the adjective “American” comes after the noun “teacher”.
In the second example, “talented” (adj) comes after “students” (noun).
In the third example, “grand” (adj) comes after “party” (noun).
3) The Adjectives also comes after the verb. Below few examples are mentioned.
- My favourite colour is red.
- Micheal’s toys are amazing.
- Our school ground is near.
Adjective modifying Pronoun
Yes, some Adjectives describes/modifies the Pronoun. Below are some examples that you can refer.
- You are a clever person.
Here, the Pronoun (You), Adjective (clever) and Noun (person) are used.
- He did a great job.
Here, the Pronoun (He), Adjective (great) and Noun (job) are used.
Today, we had a great meeting.
Here, the Pronoun (we), Adjective (great) and Noun (meeting)
More examples of Adjectives
Here are other examples of Adjectives that you can refer.
- They have a big family.
- He is a good writer.
- She works in a big company.
- I am having two icecreams.
- They have a pet dog.
- Raju has a good sense of humour.
- He had a bad dream.
- They have started a small company.
- They had massive success in their business.
- I own two restaurants in my village.
Quiz Time! (Test your knowledge here)
#1. The Adjectives are used to modify the _________.
#2. "The Pink dress is more attractive than the blue dress". Identify the degree form of Adjective.
Answer: Comparative degree.
#3. Which type of degree of comparision is used in the sentence. "This is a great idea".
Answer: Here, “great” is the positive word.
#4. You have a good friend. Identify the adjective.
Answer: Here, “good” is the adjective.
#5. Fill in the blank with the appropriate degree. fast, faster, ______.
#6. Rahul is _____ than Raju. Fill in the blank with an appropriate degree.
Answer: Rahul is smarter than Raju.
#7. Positive Degree is the highest degree of Adjective. Is it true or false?
Answer: It is false.
#8. The River Nile is the _______ river in the world. Choose an appropriate adjective from the below options.
Answer: The River Nile is the largest river in the world.
#9. The adjectives usually measures ___________ of the noun.
Answer: The adjectives usually measure all sizes, shapes and qualities of the noun.
#10. The Sun is _______ at noon than in the morning. Choose the right degree.
Answer: The Sun is brighter at noon than in the morning.
Hurray….. You have passed this test! 🙂
Congratulations on completing the quiz. We are happy that you have understood this topic very well.
If you want to try again, you can start this quiz by refreshing this page.
Otherwise, you can visit the next topic 🙂
Oh, sorry about that. You didn’t pass this test! 🙁
Please read the topic carefully and try again.
Summary: (What is Adjective with examples?)
So, here is an overview of what we have read till now.
- Adjectives are used to modify the Noun in the sentences.
- Adjectives are used in many forms and types based on the usage.
- It has three forms, i.e, Positive, Comparative and Superlative.
- Base adjectives are Positive and for comparing between two “Comparative” is used.
- Superlative degree is the highest one which compares more than one.
- The adjectives can be used for nouns and pronouns.
- It can be used before or after the noun in the sentences.
- It functions with Pronoun same as noun.
If you are interested to learn more, then you can refer wikipedia from here.
I hope that you understood the topic “What is Adjective with examples?”. If you have any doubts regarding this topic, comment down below and we will respond as soon as possible. Thank You.