/ə’bri:vieɪt/ [ə’bri:vie:t] (Verb)
Learn How To Pronounce Abbreviate
Abbreviate Meaning and Examples
1) Meaning: to make a word, text or phrase shorter and simple.
- How much RAM have you installed in your computer? (Random Access Memory)
- Today, I woke up early at 5 AM. (Anti Meridiem)
- I am good at HTML, PHP and CSS programming languages. (HyperText Markup Language, Hypertext Preprocessor and Cascading Style Sheets)
- Can I borrow a movie CD of yours? (Compact Disk)
- India’s GDP has increased this year. (Gross Domestic Product)
- I bought 2 Kg of tomato from the market. (Kilogram)
- AI Technology is said to be the technology of the future. (Artificial Intelligence)
- I watch TV daily in the evening. (Television)
- Can you send me the report in PDF version? (Portable Document Format)
- The WWW is the universe of network accessible information. (World Wide Web)
More Examples of Abbreviation
- cut back
People Also Ask (FAQ’s)
Q: How do you abbreviate for example?
A: To abbreviate “for example”, we can use “e.g”. This was derived from the Latin phrase “exempli gratia”.
Q: What does as abbreviation stand for?
A: The abbreviation of “AS” stands for “American Samoa”.
Q: How do you use abbreviate in a sentence?
A: The Abbreviation can be used normally by simply replacing the common words when there is no need to show it in full form in the sentence.
Q: What is the difference between acronyms and abbreviations?
A: Abbreviations are the shortened forms of a word or phrase which is used to indicate the whole, such as Dr., Prof., etc. Whereas, an Acronym is also a short form that contains initial letters of a series of a word that forms a separate word. Such as PIN, LASER, RADAR, etc.
Q: Do abbreviations need periods?
A: Most of the abbreviations usually have a period at the middle or end. For example, Mr. and e.g.
Q: How do you abbreviate Thursday?
A: Thursday can be abbreviated as “Thur.”
Q: Is CEO an acronym?
A: No, CEO is not an acronym but an Initialism because it contains the initial letters of the series of words. It is spelt separately as letters. For example, the word “CEO” is spelt as “C-E-O”.