Abandon Meaning and Examples
1) Meaning: to leave a place, person or a thing forever.
- People used to abandoned their homes when there was drought in that place.
- He abandoned playing sports due to his health issues.
- The people abandoned the sinking ship.
- We had to abandon the old car due to its improper condition and spare parts that are difficult to get.
- She abandons to play with her toys when she turned into a teen.
2) Meaning: to leave something in the middle. In other words, stopping an activity before completing it because it may seem difficult to do.
- The cricket match was abandoned in the middle due to heavy rains.
- John abandoned playing chess because he was about to lose.
- The mountain climbers abandoned climbing the mountain due to bad weather conditions.
- He abandons the works that he doesn’t like.
- The company got abandoned due to huge losses.
- leave high and dry
- turn one’s back on
- cast aside
- throw over
- Stick by
- stand by